Work Study

Work Study

NEW! Earned Sick and Safe Time (ESST) is a new program that went into effect on January 1st, 2024. ESST is paid leave employers must provide to employees in Minnesota that can be used for a variety of reasons. Click the links below for more information.

students sitting and talkingWhat is work study?

  • It is a financial aid program that pays a student for working.
  • Student should indicate an interest in work study on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • A work study award may be on the student’s Award Notification located in E-services.
  • Work study funding can be federal, state or institutional in origin.
  • A work contract is required. The work contract will require verification of identity and employment authorization described in the packet.
  • Wage is $15.00 per hour. The hourly wage has to meet the state requirements for minimum wage.
  • During the school year you are allowed to work up to 15 hours a week.

How do I find a job?

  • If you don’t have “work study eligibility” on your award notification and are interested, click here to request.
  • When the Award Notification is available in E-Services check to see if Work Study is one of the awards. This award is an estimate and it is not a guarantee you will find a job or be able to earn the whole amount.
  • The Work Study positions list (below) for fall semester is usually available online approximately two weeks prior to the start of the academic year, but check it regularly for updates and additions.
  • Review the job list and contact the supervisor listed for the job you are interested in.
  • Positions may be located on either campus. A limited number of positions in the community may be available to those who have federal work study eligibility.

I’m hired, now what?

  • Complete the student section of the work study contract. The contract can be found in the work study packet, which is available at the Campus Welcome Center windows (Brainerd) or the Financial Aid Office (Staples).
  • If you have not previously worked at CLC you will also need to complete an I-9, W-4 (included in work study packet) and provide ID documents before you can begin working. These documents should be submitted along with the contract to your hiring supervisor who will then complete his or her section and submit all forms to Financial Aid to be processed.
  • Check back with your supervisor regarding the date you can begin working.

When Can I start working?

  • You may begin working after your supervisor has received notification that you are all set up.
  • This process may take up to 10 business days from the time all paperwork is received.
  • Do not start working until you are able to log into the MNSCU E-timesheet program in your E-Services under Student Employment.

How do I get paid?

  • Your timesheet will be in an electronic format.
  • You need to submit your timesheet every two weeks – Timesheet schedule to receive a paycheck. Please complete and submit your timesheet correctly. Your supervisor will be able to tell when your timesheet is available and you are authorized to begin working.
  • Your paycheck is delivered to you by the refund preference you selected with BankMobile. For more information about BankMobile, visit this link: The staff at the Campus Welcome Center windows can assist with the set up.

Work study job lists: Usually has new jobs for the upcoming year around the middle of August, but start checking it earlier just in case information is coming in from the supervisors.

Work study positions for both campuses

2024 Summer Work Study Letter of Intent:  This form needs to be completed if you want to do work during summer of 2024

Summer work study intent form

Call Now