Advanced Standing Nursing Associate of Science (A.S.) Admissions Requirements
The Advanced Standing Nursing Associate of Science (A.S.) program is a 64 credit (including pre-requisites), one-year (3 semester) program held on the Brainerd Campus of Central Lakes College. This program prepares Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) to take the NCLEX-RN Board exam and become Registered Nurses (RNs). This program begins twice per year, each Fall and Spring semester.
Program Admittance Requirements.
To be admitted into the Advanced Standing Nursing program, CLC requires:
STEP 1. Central Lakes College application. You must be admitted to CLC prior to submitting a Nursing program application. If you are a current CLC student, you have already completed this step!
STEP 2. CLC Nursing A.S. Degree (Advanced Standing) program application. You must submit a Nursing A.S. Degree (Advanced Standing) application for each school year you would like to be considered for the program. Available on the Nursing Admissions webpage.
STEP 3. Selection Criteria for Advanced Standing Students
- Students must have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 in their completed general education courses for initial consideration. Not all 8 general courses need to be completed for consideration, but the GPA MUST be at least a 2.75 or higher in the completed generals.
- Students must have 5 of the 8 required general education courses completed for initial consideration.
- It will be the responsibility of the student to ensure all non-Minnesota State transcripts are on file for evaluation. Unofficial transcripts will not be used for evaluation.
- It will be the responsibility of the student to provide documentation of current Practical Nursing Licensure in the state of Minnesota.
- If we have more applicants that we can accommodate in the semester start, priority will be given to students with documented experience as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
NOTE: Applicants must be Licensed Practical Nurses prior to beginning the program. This means Practical Nursing Licensure in Minnesota by August 1 for Fall start or January 1 for Spring start.
Additional Program Requirements.
Prior to starting the program, CLC requires:
ENGL 1410 Composition I, or transfer equivalent
CHEM 1407 Life Science Chemistry, or transfer equivalent
PSYC 2421 General Psychology, or transfer equivalent
ENGL 1411 Composition II, or transfer equivalent
BIOL 2467 Anatomy & Physiology I, or transfer equivalent
PHIL 2422 Medical Ethics, or transfer equivalent
NURS 1547 Professional Nursing Role Transition. Registration for this course is not open until you receive an official letter of acceptance into the Advanced Standing Nursing program. This course should be completed the semester prior to your program start. This course must be completed at CLC, transfer credits will not be accepted.
Recommended Pre-Program Coursework.
The following General Education courses may be completed during the Advanced Standing Nursing program, however earlier completion is strongly encouraged.
BIOL 2468 Anatomy & Physiology II, or transfer equivalent
BIOL 2447 Introduction to Microbiology OR BIOL 2457 Microbiology, or transfer equivalent
Academic Success. General education courses must be completed with a ‘C’ or better AND with an overall cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better. NURS courses must be completed with a ‘B-‘ or better.