Practical Nursing Diploma
Admission and Progression Requirements 2020-2021
The Practical Nursing Diploma program is a 36 credit, one-year program held entirely on the Staples Campus of Central Lakes College. This program prepares students to take the NCLEX-PN Board exam and become Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs). This program begins once per year, each Fall semester.
Program Admittance Requirements. To be admitted into the Practical Nursing program, CLC requires:
Note: Applicants must be 18 years of age prior to beginning their clinical placement.
- Central Lakes College application. You must be admitted to CLC prior to submitting a Nursing program application. If you are a current CLC student, you have already completed this step!
- CLC Practical Nursing Diploma Program application. You must submit a Practical Nursing Diploma application for each semester you would like to be considered for the program. Available online at http://www.clcmn.edu/admissions/admissions-information-for-clc-nursing-programs/.
- TEAS Exam Results. An Adjusted Individual Total Score of 60% or better – please note we may lower our TEAS exam requirement to fill remaining spots in the program however, this is not guaranteed.
Additional Program Requirements.
Prior to starting the program, CLC requires:
- Nursing Assistant. A Minnesota Department of Health approved nursing assistant course taken within the last five years or current status on the State of Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry. NSGA 1110 Nursing Assistant, offered through CLC, will fulfill this requirement.
- Placement into ENGL 1410 Composition I. You need to have successfully completed or be ready to take this course, which requires specific course placement prior to registration. Find more Course Placement information here: clcmn.edu/course-placement-testing/.
- Placement into PNUR 1140 Medication Calculations for Healthcare Careers. You need to have successfully completed or be ready to take this course, which requires specific course placement prior to registration. Find more Course Placement information here: clcmn.edu/course-placement-testing/.
Recommended Pre-Program Coursework.
The following General Education courses may be completed during the Practical Nursing program, however earlier completion is strongly encouraged.
Academic Success. General education courses must be completed with a “C” or better. PNUR courses must be completed with a “B-“ or better.
BIOL 1404 Human Biology. Alternatively, both BIOL 2467 Anatomy & Physiology I and BIOL 2468 Anatomy & Physiology II may substitute Human Biology; this is recommended for students who eventually plan to complete the Advanced Standing Nursing program.
ENGL 1410 Composition I.
PNUR 1130 Life Span. Alternatively, PSYCH 2431 Human Development may substitute Life Span.
PNUR 1140 Medication Calculations for Healthcare Careers
Core Nursing Coursework.
Taken after admission to the program, nursing coursework must be completed with a “B-“ or better.
PNUR 1149 Clinical Lab I
PNUR 1160 Practical Nursing Skills Lab
PNUR 1168 Psychosocial Nursing
PNUR 1265 Medical Surgical Nursing I
PNUR 1150 Clinical Lab II
PNUR 1166 Gerontological Nursing
PNUR 1175 Maternal Child Health
PNUR 1270 Medical Surgical Nursing II