IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Process (Options 1-3)
Which Tax year to request:
2016 for 2018-19 School year
2017 for 2019-20 School year
2018 for 2020-21 School year
1. IRS.gov has two options for requesting Tax Return Transcript.
- “Get Transcript Online” is available to those that have used this option previously.
- “Get Transcript by MAIL” is available to others.
o Complete requested information according to what was on your filed Federal Tax Return
o For type of transcript- select “Return transcript”
o Be sure to select the correct tax return year.
o There will then be an order confirmation message
o Takes 5 to 10 days to receive
2. Call 1-800-908-9946 Transcript order line: Available 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM local time
When prompted by the automated system:
- Enter your Social Security Number.
- Enter the Numbers in your street address
- Select-Option 2 (Transcript of Tax Return)
- Enter the year of the Return you are requesting
- Takes 5 to 10 days to receive
3. Complete 4506T-EZ from the IRS website at this link IRS.4506T-EZ (pdf)
- PDF version of form will appear with two methods of completion.
- Complete online, save, print and mail
- Print blank, complete by hand and mail.
- Mailing addresses are on page 2 of form.