Using Your Educational Benefits
Your time served, type of service, residency, and other factors determine eligibility for all or some of the benefits listed below. Research VA education benefits using the MyMilitary Benefits Flowchart.
Contact the MDVA Higher Education Veterans Program Regional Coordinator for a one-on-one benefit consultation. POC is Jason Wehry, Cell 320-493-8153 or Jason.L.Wehry@state.mn.us
Apply for the GI Bill®
- Apply for the GI Bill® at va.gov or contact Jason Wehry as noted above.
- Contact Randy Tuper, CLC School Certifying Official (SCO), to obtain the Request to Certify form each semester. Randy’s contact information is email@example.com, 218-855-8279, and he’s located in the Veterans Resource Center.
- Email a copy of your Veterans Certificate of Eligibility to firstname.lastname@example.org
Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
- Eligibility: Active duty members and some members of the National Guard and Reserve may be eligible.
- To apply for FTA, go to https://www.armyignited.army.mil Apply early as money for this program can run out!
Minnesota GI Bill
- Eligibility: Minnesota residents who served on active duty or those who have not served on active duty but have served at least 5 years in the National Guard/Reserves and some spouses and dependents may be eligible for this benefit.
- Applicants must first submit a FAFSA at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- Apply for the MN GI Bill at https://mn.gov/mdva/resources/education/minnesotagibill/ or contact the Regional Coordinator as noted above.
Minnesota National Guard – State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)
- Eligibility: Members of the Minnesota Army and Air National Guard, as well as spouses under certain circumstances, may be eligible.
- If you are actively drilling, complete required paperwork with your unit education specialist.
- If you have deployed and are now out of the military, you may qualify for the Extended State Tuition Reimbursement Program. Contact the Regional Coordinator as noted above.
- Contact Randy Tuper, CLC’s School Certifying Official (SCO), at 218-855-8279, email@example.com, or by stopping by the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) on either campus to obtain a “Request to Certify Military Education Benefits” form each semester.
- Notify Randy before making changes to your course schedule (adding, dropping, or withdrawing from courses).
- Attend class regularly and complete work timely.
- Check your online student account in E-Services under “Bills & Payments” to see your charges, payments on account, balances, etc. and to sign up for a payment plan, if needed.
- Learn about your financial rights and responsibilities
- Ask for help. Connect with your advisor Learn about supportive services and student basic needs resources available to help you succeed.