Using Your Educational Benefits

Using Your Educational Benefits

Your time served, type of service, residency, and other factors determine eligibility for all or some of the benefits listed belowResearch VA education benefits using the MyMilitary Benefits Flowchart.

Contact the MDVA Higher Education Veterans Program Regional Coordinator for a one-on-one benefit consultation. POC is Jason Wehry, Cell 320-493-8153 or

Apply for the GI Bill®

  • Apply for the GI Bill® at or contact Jason Wehry as noted above.
  • Contact Randy Tuper, CLC School Certifying Official (SCO), to obtain the Request to Certify form each semester. Randy’s contact information is, 218-855-8279, and he’s located in the Veterans Resource Center.
  • Email a copy of your Veterans Certificate of Eligibility to

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

  • Eligibility: The Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) program provides tuition assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs for Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve Component service members. FTA is available for courses that are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. This money is paid directly to the institution by the individual services.
  • Students requesting FTA must receive approval from the student’s Education Service Office (ESO), military counselor, or Service prior to enrollment.
  • The Army National Guard Education Center is the most commonly used Education Service Office (ESO) for CLC students and is a great place to start to begin using your Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) at:
  • All other Service branches will need to contact their respective Education Service Office (ESO) to determine your FTA eligibility and what steps you need to take to apply at:
  • FTA must be approved seven days prior to classes beginning. Visit your respective Tuition Assistance site from the links provided above.
  • Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance utilizing your branch-specific process.
  • Army students must set up an Education Goal and confirm with their ESO that they are authorized to take courses at their chosen institution.
  • Select Request FTA.
  • Once you’re approved, provide the School Certifying Official with your FTA approval paperwork by emailing it to
  • Inform the School Certifying Official (SCO) if you are combining FTA with other GI Bill benefits because some require coordination.

Minnesota GI Bill

Minnesota National Guard – State Tuition Reimbursement (STR)

  • Eligibility: Members of the Minnesota Army and Air National Guard, as well as spouses under certain circumstances, may be eligible.
  • If you are actively drilling, complete the required paperwork with your unit education specialist.
  • If you have deployed and are now out of the military, you may qualify for the Extended State Tuition Reimbursement Program. Contact the Regional Coordinator as noted above.

What’s Next?

  • Contact Randy Tuper, CLC’s School Certifying Official (SCO), at 218-855-8279,, or by stopping by the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) on either campus to obtain a “Request to Certify Military Education Benefits” form each semester.
  • Notify Randy before making changes to your course schedule (adding, dropping, or withdrawing from courses).
  • Attend class regularly and complete work timely.
  • Check your online student account in E-Services under “Bills & Payments” to see your charges, payments on account, balances, etc., and to sign up for a payment plan, if needed.
  • Learn about your financial rights and responsibilities
  • Ask for help. Connect with your advisor. Learn about supportive servicesand student basic needs resources available to help you succeed.
Call Now