The Bent Pine Journal
Submissions will be accepted starting November 16, 2023 for the 2024 journal! The deadline is Friday, March 1, 2024. Please submit here after reading the guidelines below.
In fall of 2023 CLC’s Bent Pine received “National Award for Best Magazine: 2nd Place” from the Community College Humanities Association!
Bent Pine 2024 (our 5th volume) will be printed and published by April 29, 2024. Everyone published receives 1 copy!
PLEASE SEE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES BELOW!
We are proud to present Bent Pine, a journal of art and writing by CLC’s students, faculty, and staff—created by the Bent Pine Journal Club in conjunction with the Graphic Design program, English department, and Art department!
The Bent Pine was made possible through a Mini Grant from the Central Lakes College Foundation and through Cultural Arts and Club funding from the CLC Student Life Committee.
Hard copies of this journal are distributed to each student, faculty member, or staff member published in its pages.
The Bent Pine is a full color, hardcopy journal that seeks to illuminate the creative talents of students, staff, and faculty across Central Lakes College (Staples, Brainerd, and Online). We are an outlet for any shy artist, developing writer, or proud poet. We want to emphasize and publish your creative work, which deserves a professional and public outlet like The Bent Pine. It will be published every spring.
There is a Bent Pine Journal club devoted to putting out this journal yearly, including students across a wide range of disciplines. These students do all the work, with some help from faculty and staff. This includes getting submissions, selecting submissions (blind), promoting the club/journal, and planning and hosting the spring release event. Bent Pine won 2nd place nationally in 2023 for its 4th volume from the Community College Humanities Association. We also received regional awards prior to this national recognition: 2nd (2020), 1st (2021), and 3rd (2022) for the 11-state central division of CCHA. Congratulations to all of the students in Bent Pine Journal Club and to all of our published writers and artists!
We will publish a select number of pieces of writing and art for each annual issue through a blind selection process. We will contact everyone who submits work by the end of March.
The Bent Pine will be published toward the end of spring semester, and there will be an event to showcase student work at that time—including a reading, art talk, awards, and art slideshow.
- 1) poetry, 2) short fiction/drama/screenplays, and 3) nonfiction essays or essayettes
- Students/staff/faculty may submit in one or more of these three categories
- Students/staff/faculty may submit up to 5 single-spaced, 12-point font, Times New Roman pages in each of these three categories (for poetry, 1 poem per page)
- Names must be removed from all pieces
- Documents should be submitted as .doc, .docx, .txt, or .rtf. (no PDFs)
- Documents should be proofread/edited prior to submission
- Each different writing piece should be submitted separately
- Photography, painting, drawing, printmaking, illustration, ceramics, sculpture (including woods & metals), graphic design, and other
- Students/staff/faculty may submit in more than one category
- Students/staff/faculty may submit up to 10 art pieces total
- If possible, names should be removed from pieces, or blurred (if impossible, that’s okay!)
- Please take a high-quality photo of each piece and submit each separately
- Please ensure that photos have a blank/clean background and capture the whole art piece
- Ideally, photos should be submitted in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png
- Ideally, photos should be submitted with minimum resolution of 300 dpi/ppi
- If you are submitting a 3D artwork and would like more than one image submitted to capture different angles, please submit a separate form for each image, but you may still submit up to 10 different pieces overall
- Each different art piece should be submitted separately
- Your writing and/or art featured in a full color literary and arts publication, the Bent Pine
- An invitation to the spring release party reading/exhibit
- Your writing and/or art featured (possibly) at the spring release party reading/exhibit
- Official publishing experience that you can now include in your resume or portfolio
- $100 awards will be given to 3 selected writing pieces and 3 selected art pieces
The first time you submit, you’ll create a free account using Submittable (see links above!); this great tool will allow you to track your submissions. If you are submitting more than one piece of writing or art or both, you’ll complete the form again for each separate piece.
Please contact club advisor Brandy Lindquist at email@example.com with any questions.