Transferring Credits to CLC

Transferring Credits to CLC

Official transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope. Hand delivered transcripts must arrive unopened with the official seal intact. Student copies and faxed transcripts are not considered official. A course syllabus or course outline may be requested to determine course transferability. Transfer of credits shall be accomplished in accordance with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities policy and the policy of Central Lakes College. Once a course has met the criteria necessary for inclusion in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum in any area of emphasis, the course must be accepted for full credit in that area of emphasis at all Minnesota State Colleges and Universities. Central Lakes College also awards credit for prior learning. Please click here to learn more about Central Lakes College’s evaluation of prior learning policies (includes AP,CLEP, credit for experience, credit for military experience, tech prep, DANTES, and International Baccalaureate).

General Guidelines for Credit Transfer
– Lower division courses (100, 200, or 1000, 2000 numbered) completed with a grade of “D-” or better will be accepted in transfer.

– Courses must be comparable in nature, content and level while matching at least 75 percent of CLC course content and goals.

– Regional accreditation from the institution/college has to be in effect at the time the student took the course(s).

– Courses completed from colleges or universities which do not possess regional accreditation will be considered on an individual basis for evaluation but do require a syllabi or course outline for the course. Other documentation may be required.

– “S” grades will be accepted if the transcript legend designates the “S” grade equals a “C” grade or higher.

– Not more than six upper-division (300, 400 or 3000, 4000 numbered) semester credits may be used in transfer.

– Some Career and Technical Education Program have specific Credit Transfer rules:

– Law enforcement students seeking the Minnesota Post licensing: Only credit for law enforcement courses completed within three years of the request of transfer will be accepted in transfer.

– Associate of Science (A.S.) Nursing students: Only microbiology courses that include a lab will be accepted in transfer.

For more information, please review MnScu Board Policy 3.39 and the Student Action Plan for Transfer

Transfer of Credit/General Information for the Minnesota State College and University System
Central Lakes College is part of the Minnesota State Colleges and University System. The following information applies to all Colleges and Universities in this system.

– Once a course has met the criteria necessary for inclusion in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum in any area of emphasis, the course must be accepted for full credit in that area of emphasis at all Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.

– Students are encouraged to ask for help from the registrar or transfer specialist located at each college.

– Students are encouraged to ask the transfer specialist for information about agreements between colleges for the transfer of credit.

– Students need to understand the criteria for admission to the institution or selected major field of study.

– Students need to understand what kinds of courses an institution will accept in transfer.

– Students need to understand the appeals process at the institution to which transfer credits are to be sent.

– The receiving college or university decides what credits transfer and whether those credits meet its degree requirements. The accreditation of both the sending and the receiving institution can affect the transfer of the credits earned.

– Institutions accept credits from courses and programs like those they offer. They look for similarity in course goals, content, and level of difficulty.

– Baccalaureate degree programs usually count credits in four categories: education, major/minor courses, prerequisites, and electives. The key question is, “Will your credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program you choose?”

– If a student changes career goals or majors, he/she might not be able to complete all degree requirements within the usual number of graduation credits.

International Credit
Central Lakes College does award transfer credit for international credit earned at eligible Colleges & Universities outside of the United States. Please view our International Credit Evaluation Policy (pdf) for more information.

Your rights as a Transfer Student
The following are rights of a transfer student:

– To receive a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policy.

– To receive a fair credit review and an explanation of why credits were or were not accepted.

– To appeal a transfer decision: Please see the transfer appeals process policy listed below.

– To receive a review of eligibility for financial aid or scholarships and transfer of present financial aid records.

Transfer Appeals Process
If the student is not satisfied with the transfer after faculty have reviewed course syllabi, outlines and/or supplemental information, the following steps can be completed:

1. Student completes the Transfer Appeal (pdf), available from the Registrar. The student will include rationale for the appeal and include course syllabi, outlines and/or supplemental information used for the faculty review.

2. The Vice President of Academic Affairs or Designee will review the Transfer Appeal and the outcome will be communicated to the student.

3. If the student is not satisfied with the Academic Affairs appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs at the MnSCU System Office. For more information on the MnSCU System Office appeal, go to

For policy information, please refer to Procedure 3.21.1- Subpart B – System level appeal at

Call Now