Evaluation of Prior Learning

AP – Advanced Placement Exams
Advanced Placement (AP) classes can be an important part of a student’s college preparation plan. Classes are offered in most high schools throughout Minnesota and offer rigorous course content in many areas. Through AP exams, you have the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standing at most of the nation’s colleges and universities. Central Lakes College will award credit for Advanced Placement testing provided the student earned a score of 3 or above on the exam.  The amount of credit granted will not exceed the credit granted for an equivalent course or course sequence offered by Central Lakes College.  Approved credits will be transcripted as “Advanced Placement” credits.  Students wishing to apply for Advanced Placement credit should request to have test results mailed to Records and Registration. View a full listing of AP Exam score requirements and their CLC equivalents (pdf)student. Students may view AP Equivalencies in Transferology

CLEP – College Level Examination Program 
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP®) is a college board program that allows students to earn college credit by demonstrating their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects. The College-Level Examination Program® provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. CLEP exams do not relate to a specifically designed college-level courses taught in high school. CLEP exams test mastery of college-level materials acquired in a variety of ways such as through general academic instruction, significant independent study, or extracurricular work Credit for both subject and area examinations of CLEP (College Level Examination Program) will be evaluated for credit according to the recommendation of the American Council on Education and according to the policies of Central Lakes College. Students wishing to apply for credit should have results mailed from CLEP directly to the Records and Registration office. Approved credits will be transcripted as “CLEP” credits. Information about CLEP is available in the Counseling Center. View a full listing of CLEP Exams that has CLC equivalents (pdf). Students may view CLEP equivalencies in Transferology here.

Credit for Life/Work Experience
Competency-based education allows students to present nontraditional learning as competencies to be evaluated for credit by qualified faculty members toward their educational program. These competencies must be the equivalent of what would have been learned through college coursework.  If a student is confident that he/she has the competencies needed to meet the objectives for a diploma program course, he/she may make a request for Credit by Evaluation by following these steps:

1. Check the list of courses that allows this method.  The list is available from the Vice President of Academic Affairs office.

2. If the student decides to proceed, he/she should complete the Credit by Evaluation form available from the Vice President of Academic Affairs office.

3. After the student completes the form, the VP of Academic Affairs or designee will assign the appropriate instructor to administer the evaluation.  The evaluation may be oral, written, demonstration, or a combination of these.

4. The student will go to the cashier to pay the appropriate non-refundable fee. Students are reminded that financial aid does not cover any of the Credit by Evaluation fees.

5. The student will then meet with the assigned instructor to set up the test time and finalize criteria for the evaluation.

6. The examination will be administered to the student.

7. The instructor will return the Credit by Evaluation form to the VP of Academic Affairs who will ensure the credits are appropriately transcribed.

8. Only the grade of “S” will be allowed for Credit by Evaluation courses.

The process allowing Credit by Evaluation must be completed by the end of the drop-add period to allow the student to withdraw from a course without penalty. If the student has not registered for the course and wishes to attempt Credit by Evaluation, the student may complete the process at any time.  A student cannot receive Credit by Evaluation for a course she/he previously registered for and failed.

An enrolled student may request an evaluation of military experience and education for college credit from an official military transcript, form DD214, or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). This is evaluated and awarded by the Registrar according to the standards of the American Council on Education (ACE), the American Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), and the policies of Central Lakes College. Contact the Records and Registration office for information. For more information on Military credit transfer for veterans and service members, please visit http://www.minnstate.edu/military/transfer.html

Central Lakes College has number of course equivalency agreements with high schools. These articulation agreements allow students to experience advanced learning that can be used in their college career. Students are subject to the current articulation agreement that is in effect at the time of their enrollment at Central Lakes College. Advanced Standing credits are transcribed showing total credits and identified as “Advanced Standing” credits.
Students who are interested in further information should contact their high school counselor or the Records and Registration office of Central Lakes College. For more information visit Advanced Standing

The DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) program is an extensive series of examinations in college subjects that are comparable to the final or end-of-course examinations in undergraduate courses. ACE recommends three semester hours of credit per test. DANTES funds DSST testing for eligible service members and personnel at DANTES military test centers. The DSSTs are now also available for use by civilians at universities and colleges throughout the country. To see a list of the DSSTs go to:http://www.getcollegecredit.com/ Students may view Dantes equivalencies here

International Baccalaureate 
Central Lakes College awards credit for prior learning to high school students who participated in the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. The International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma program is an educational program taught in one of three languages – English, French, or Spanish and is intended for students in their final two years of secondary school, often before entering university. The program, administered by the International Baccalaureate Organization, is one of the most widely recognized pre-university educational programs in the world. A student may present a full IB diploma or a certificate recognizing specific higher level or standard level examination scores for evaluation. Central Lakes College awards credit for scores of four (4) or higher on individual IB examinations or successful completion of the IB diploma. Students who attain an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma shall be granted six (6) lower division course credits for scores of four (4) or higher on each Higher Level IB examinations and two (2) lower division course credits for scores of four (4) or higher on each Standard Level IB examination. Students who do not complete an IP diploma may have their individual examinations evaluated. A student shall receive three (3) or more course credits for scores of four (4) or higher on individual Higher Level IB examinations and two (2) or more credits for scores of four (4) or higher on individual Standard Level IB examinations. Students may view IB equivalencies in Transferology here.

Call Now