Why Choose Automotive Technology A.A.S. Degree at CLC?
• Experienced Instructor – Our instructor is a Master ASE Certified with factory training and certifications in all domestic brands. Mobile air conditioning certified. L1 advanced education performance.
• Accreditation – Our programs and instructors are evaluated against industry standards of quality every five years by external evaluators from NATEF (the educational branch of ASE).
• Small Class Size – Our average class size is between 17 and 25 students. This allows for small groups and greater interaction with the instructor.
• Curriculum – Our program is based on NATEF task lists for ASE Certification in all eight ASE areas: A1-A8. Using the latest in high-tech automotive diagnostic software.
• Leader in use of PICO scope technology for troubleshooting automotive problems. Distributor of PICO offers subscription to “autonerdz”.
AUTOMOTIVE TECHNOLOGY AAS
Program Course Requirements
Fall Semester – First Half
AUTM 1101 A1 Engine Repair** (4 cr)
AUTM 1106 A6 Electrical/Electronic System I** (4 cr)
AUTM 1120 Transportation Industry Skills I (1 cr)
ENGL 1521 Technical Writing Fundamentals (1 cr)
Total – 10 credits
Fall Semester – Second Half
AUTM 1108* A8 Engine Performance I (4 cr)
AUTM 1116* A6 Electrical/Electronics Systems II (4 cr)
AUTM 1121 Transportation Industry Skills II (1 cr)
Total – 9 credits
Spring Semester – First Half
AUTM 1102* A2 Automatic Transmission & Transaxle (4 cr)
AUTM 1118* A8 Engine Performance II (4 cr)
AUTM 1122 Transportation Industry Skills III (1 cr)
Total – 9 credits
Spring Semester – Second Half
AUTM 1104* A4 Steering & Suspension (4 cr)
AUTM 1105* A5 Brakes (4 cr)
AUTM 1123 Transportation Industry Skills IV (1 cr)
Total – 9 credits
AUTM 1103 A3 Manual Drive Train & Axles (4 cr)
AUTM 1107* A7 Heating & Air Conditioning (4 cr)
Total – 8 credits
Fall Semester – 2nd Year
General Education Goal Area 1 Required (3 cr)
General Education Goal Area 2 Required (3 cr)
General Education Goal Area 3 Recommended (3 cr)
General Education Goal Area 9 Recommended (3 cr)
General Education (3 cr)
Total – 15 credits
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT – 60 CREDITS
**High School Certifiable Courses
Program Information: The Automotive Technology AAS at Central Lakes College is an 16-month program that provides students with the skills needed to pursue a career in any area of automotive repair. Graduates of the program are prepared to begin entry-level in an amazing and satisfying career. Our program and regional employers take great pride in professionalism. A dress code, attendance policy, and student conduct code are strictly enforced. Because the program is so intensive, class size is limited to ensure optimum training. The intensity of the program prepares students for the real world.
Graduates will be able to:
- Troubleshoot and diagnose complex vehicle operating systems;
- Access and apply manufacturers’ specifications in repair and replacement;
- Perform vehicle operating system repairs and maintenance;
- Use computerized software programs to interpret and document service;
- Work independently and in teams to service, repair, test and maintain vehicles;
- Work responsibly within all shop safety and environmental guidelines and standards;
- Handle customer needs, complaints and questions about repairs/service.
Special Program Requirements:
In addition to the program requirements listed above, students must meet the following conditions in order to graduate:
- College Cumulative GPA Requirement: The cumulative grade point average (GPA) of credits attempted and completed at CLC must be at least 2.0.
- College Technical Core GPA Requirement: Cumulative GPA of credits attempted and completed towards the technical core of the diploma or degree must be at least 2.0;
- Residency Requirement: students must complete one third (14) of their credits at Central Lakes College.
Accreditation: The Automotive Technology program is a fully accredited program through the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF). The CLC AAS program is accredited at the Master Automotive Service Technician level, the highest ranking accreditation. The NATEF curriculum aligns with both regional employers and Automotive Service for Excellence (ASE) technician certification standards. CLC’s curriculum is reviewed annually with a regional advisory committee of employers and is reviewed by NATEF every 2.5 years to ensure the program stays current with technology and teaching to standards of the current needs of employers.
Certification: After successful completion of all of the courses in the AAS program, students are eligible to take the ASE student certification exam. This certification and the AAS are what employers are looking for the certify competency in the automotive service and repair industry.
Admissions: The Automotive Technology AAS is an 16-month program.
Transfer Opportunities: All Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) area certifications (A1-A8) will transfer into the CLC Automotive Technology AAS program. Each course is aligned with the individual ASE certification area (A1-A8). CLC automotive technician courses transfer to many two- and four-year schools. Consult with an instructor, advisor, or counselor to learn about specific transfer opportunities.
Career Opportunities: Trained automotive technicians are in huge demand nationwide and regionally. The career field is growing faster than the average career field, both in the nation and regionally. Graduates of the program generally find careers within the region, but alumni are all across the nation.
Career Titles: Some common career titles for this field are service technician, service writer, technical instructor, technical traininer, sales person, and automotive parts representative. There are also opportunities for self-employment as it is common for graduates to own their own business.
Auto Mechanics Instructor
United States Marine Ground Radio Repair
Instructor at Auto-Tech
Instructor at Central Lakes Technical College
Pequot Lakes High School Diploma
Brainerd Area Vocational Tech. College Diploma
Auto-Tech Advanced Automotive Program Diploma
Ford Certifications and Training
Chrysler Certifications and Training
General Motors Certifications and Training
Ford Dealership, Chrysler Dealership Work Experience