Why Choose Healthcare Administrative Specialist Diploma at CLC?
• Program is a platform program to allow students to pursue careers in the business, compliance and technology side of healthcare. Visit http://www.hicareers.com to see what awaits you in career options, employment statistics, and potential wages.
• An active Advisory Board representing the regions small businesses to large integrated healthcare systems; who choose graduated of this program to fill job openings.
• Articulation agreement with the College of St. Scholastica to transfer into their 4 year B.A. Health Information Management degree.
• A.A.S. degree prepares students for industry credentials.
• Instructors hold current industry credentials and pride themselves on being up-to-date on the constantly changing healthcare demands.
• Program is taught in the classroom, hybrid and online to meet the needs of the course content to ensure student success.
HEALTHCARE ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST DIPLOMA
Program Course Requirements
Fall Semester – First Year
BIOL 1510 Essentials of Human Biology (3 cr) OR BIOL 1404 Human Biology (3 cr)
ENGL 1501 Writing Fundamentals for Healthcare Professionals (1 cr)
HINS 1120 Introduction to Health Information Privacy and Security (1 cr)
HINS 1152 Medical Insurance and Billing (2 cr)
HINS 1154 Introduction to Health Data Analysis (2 cr)
HINS 1156 Interpersonal Skills for Healhcare Professionasl (1 cr)
HINS 1163 Medical Office Procedures (2 cr)
HINS 1360 Medical Terminology (3 cr)
Total – 16 Credits
BUSN 1166 Business Communications (3 cr)
COMP 1120 Introduction to Computer Applications
HINS 1142 Healthcare Information Systems (3 cr)
HINS 1144* Pharmacology for Healthcare Admin (1 cr)
HINS 1150* Introduction to DX and Procedure Coding (3 cr)
HINS 1165 Medical Records Management (3 cr)
Total – 16 Credits
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT – 32 CREDITS
Career Description: Healthcare Administrative Specialist is ideal for individuals who would like a career in healthcare, but are not interested in the hands on patient care. The medical community depends on educated staff to collect, interpret, analyze, protect and organize medical information so that it may be used for continuity of care, reimbursement, and quality improvement. Health administrative professionals work closely with providers, nurses, researchers, and other healthcare staff to contribute to the quality of patient care behind the scenes.
Program Information: The 32-credit Healthcare Administrative Specialist Diploma graduate is prepared to assume duties in the field including patient service representative, registration, scheduling, and release of information. Graduates of the diploma program will be able maintain accuracy and completeness of the patient record as defined by organizational policy and external regulations and standards; apply policies and procedures for access and disclosure of personal health information; and apply confidentiality and security measures to protect electronic health information.
Graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of how their role fits into and affects their department, other departments, and the organization;
- Identify and utilize appropriate technologies used to capture, retrieve, and maintain information from internal and external sources;
- Apply knowledge of human structure and function, diseases and disorders, and medical terminology as it relates to their healthcare role;
- Apply policies, procedures, and regulation standards surrounding issues of access and disclosure of protected health information and organizational compliance;
- Analyze the documentation in the health record to ensure it supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient’s prograss, clinical findings, and discharge status;
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication within the healthcare environment;
- Describe positive work behaviors, personal traits and attitudes desirable in members of a healthcare team; and
- Understand accepted ethical practices with respect to cultural, social, religious and ethnic differences within the healthcare environment.
Special Program Requirements:
In addition to the program requirements listed above, students must meet the following conditions in order to graduate:
- College Cumulative GPA Requirement: The cumulative grade point average (GPA) must be at least 2.0
- College Technical Core GPA Requirement: The cumulative GPA of credits in the technical core of the diploma or degree must be at least 2.0
- Residency Requirement: students must complete 25% of their credits at Central Lakes College.
Admissions: The A.A.S. degree and diploma are offered as full-time programs. Students can start at the beginning of fall or spring. This program is a combination of in-class room, hybrid (both in-class, LiveOnline and online), and online formats. Students pursuing the A.A.S. degree will find the second year courses are offered in an online format to allow for employment while completing the degree.
Transfer Opportunities: Contact an admissions representative for information regarding transfer opportunities.
Career Opportunities: Employment opportunities exist in hospitals, clinics, long-term facilities, nursing homes, physician offices, medical group practices, behavioral health facilities, insurance agencies, home health agencies, consulting firms, government agencies, insurance based healthcare companies, and medical supply organizations. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: * 2012 Median Pay: $34,760 per year or $16.71 per hour * Website: https://www.bls.gov/oes/2017/may/oes436013.htm#ind
Career Titles: This program will help students prepare for a wide range of careers including the following: Admitting Clerk, Patient Service Representatives, Registrar, Release of Information Clerk, Scheduler, and Patient Accounts Representative.
For more information regarding employment statistics, career salary information and estimated job growth, follow the resource links below: