Why Choose Graphic Design Media Technologies Diploma at CLC?
• Award winning students at the American Advertising Federation Competition – Best of Show 2 years in a row.
• Students receive close personal attention from their instructors.
• Digital printing production program for real world experience.
• Active “Right Brain Graphics Club” perform student activities and community services.
• We stay current with industry technology.
• Close to industry for possible internships and local placement.
GRAPHIC DESIGN – MEDIA TECHNOLOGY DIPLOMA
Program Course Requirements
Fall Semester – 1st year
GDES 1105 Concepts of Design (3 cr)
GDES 2130 Motion Graphics I (3 cr)
GDES 2132 Design in Social Media (3 cr)
GDES 1140 Adobe Photoshop (3 cr)
GDES 1142 Adobe Illustrator (3 cr)
GDES 1144 Adobe InDesign (3 cr)
Total – 18 credits
Spring Semester – 1st year
GDES 1122* Graphic Design Production (3 cr)
Choose 10 credits from GDES or VPRO courses (10 cr)
Total – 13 credits
Fall Semester – 2nd year
GDES 2352 Shop Internship (12 cr)
Total – 12 credits
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT – 43 CREDITS
Graphic Design students are required to purchas an Apple Macintosh laptop with the Adobe Creative Cloud software. See latest requirement through bookstore website.
Career Description: A graphic designer is a creative problem solver who is trained to conceive, plan, and execute a design that communicates a direct message to an audience in an imaginative and visually arresting manner. Effective visual communication requires a graphic designer to communicate ideas and information in ways that will get the attention of, and motivate, a viewer. Ideas are generated through a design process in which graphic designers research, organize, and interpret the information; define the objectives; originate ideas; and create new visual forms. New and constantly evolving computer and communication technologies further challenge the role of the graphic designer in creating imaginative and clear messages for vastly different audiences. Meeting this challenge requires use of the best media tools for development and delivery of ideas and information: print, photography, packaging, logos, publications, the Internet, film, television, and animation.
Program Information: In the Graphic Design Program – Media Technologies, students will take visual ideas from initial concept through creative and technical development and, ultimately, to a final form that is ready for production. Various tools are used, from hand tools for sketches to the latest computerized aids for print or online media. We focus on projects modeled with industry realities, relevant to high-impact, effective communication.
Graduates will be able to:
- Select appropriate software tools to achieve effective design solutions;
- Communicate design concepts at various stages of development using the design process;
- Develop print and multimedia concepts using traditional, computer-based, and video design tools;
- Develop and present creative portfolios verbally and in writing to clients;
- Interact with clients, marketing personnel, copy writers, web designers, photographers, and printing companies; and
- Demonstrate a respect for diversity of ideas and concepts in a group environment.
Special Program Requirements:
In addition to the program requirements listed above, students must meet the following conditions in order to graduate:
- College Cumulative GPA Requirement: The cumulative grade point average (GPA) of credits attempted and completed at CLC must be at least 2.0;
- College Technical Core GPA Requirement: The cumulative GPA of credits attempted and completed towards the technical core of the diploma or degree must be at least 2.0; and
- Residency Requirement: students must complete 25% (7) of their credits at Central Lakes College.
- Graphic Design students are required to purchase an Apple Macintosh laptop with the Adobe Creative Cloud software. See latest requirement through bookstore website.
Transfer Opportunities: Students have the opportunity to transfer to Bemidji State University and finish a four-year Bachelor of Arts in Design Technology with an emphasis in Digital Design/Print, Digital Design/Electronic, or Exhibit Design.
Career Opportunities: There are many employment opportunities in Minnesota for people in the graphic design field. The Twin Cities, Duluth, Brainerd, and St. Cloud are some of the hot spots in the area for jobs in this field.
Career Titles: Common career titles in this field include advertising agency designer, multimedia designer, corporate in-house designer, illustrator, print designer, art director, package designer, poster/billboard designer, website designer, magazine designer, video editor, book designer, animation consultant/designer, and newspaper designer.