7.8 Grant Budget Establishment Policy
Part 1 Purpose:
Central Lakes College receives funds from a number of sources to carry out contracts of various types and to conduct grant projects. A key component to effective management of grants and contracts is quick and accurate establishment of a budget. It is the intent of Central Lakes College that grants and contract budgets be established promptly, that personnel and non-personnel costs be attributed accurately, and that this information be forwarded to the appropriate offices so that accounts may be set up in the MinnState Database.
Part 2 Policy:
Faculty and staff members who are responsible for writing and/or receiving grants are responsible for setting up a budget for that fund in collaboration with the Business Office and the Human Resources (HR) Office. This budget will be developed so that it may be established in a clear manner in the MinnState Accounting System. It will be the policy of CLC that the Account Manager or Project Director do this as soon as a notice of award is released to the College and provide the appropriate information to the affected offices.
Part 3 Procedure:
- In developing the budget for a contract or a grant, the faculty/staff member responsible will coordinate with the Business Office and the HR Office in order to assure that the grant is costed appropriately and that expense estimates are accurate.
- On receipt of the notice of award from the granting agency or upon signing of the contract, the faculty/staff member responsible will collaborate with the Business Office and HR Office to set up the budget categories and amounts in the MinnState Accounting System.
- The Business Office will establish the account assigned at the appropriate number under the MinnState System.
- The HR Office will set up the payroll distribution according to the information provided by the faculty/staff member responsible for the grant.
- The faculty/staff member responsible for the grant will develop, with assistance from the Business Office, a schedule and procedure for invoicing and billing for the contract or grant.
- No funds will be expended or payroll checks issued until this process is completed.
- No contracts for services or personnel will be issued until this budget process has been completed for the new account/cost center.
Date of Implementation/Presidential Approval: 7/1/2013
Date of last review: 9/30/2020