Why Choose Business Management A.A.S. at CLC?
• CLC graduates score above the national average on the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute General Management Assessment.
• 85 percent of the Business Management degree can be completed online.
• The faculty have more than 90 years of combined industry and education experience.
• Strong career placement for CLC graduates.
• The AAS degree has transfer articulation agreements with the University of Minnesota-Crookston and Concordia University St. Paul.
• College in the Schools (CIS) partners include 13 area high schools offering CLC Business Department courses.
• Bridges Academy High Schools create career pathways to the Business Management AAS Degree.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT A.A.S. DEGREE
Program Course Requirements
BUSN 1102 Accounting for Non-Accountants (3 cr)
BUSN 1110 Marketing Principles (3 cr)
BUSN 1131 Business Math (3 cr)
BUSN 1162 Customer Relations (3 cr)
BUSN 1164 International Business (3 cr)
BUSN 1166 Business Communications (3 cr)
BUSN 2541 Legal Environment of Business (3 cr)
COMP 1120 Intro to Computer Applications (3 cr)
COMP 1121* Advanced Computer Applications (3 cr)
MGMT 1011 Management Principles (3 cr)
MGMT 1101 Entrepreneurship (3 cr)
MGMT 1108 Quality & Performance Management (3 cr)
MGMT 1110 Frontline Leadership (3 cr)
MGMT 1114 Human Resource Management (3 cr)
MGMT 1126 Financial Management (3 cr)
Total Required – 45 Credits
Student must complete the requirements listed in the AAS Degree/General Education Transfer Curriculum document.
Total General Education – 15 Credits
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT – 60 CREDITS
Career Description: All businesses need effective leadership to succeed. The management team is responsible for providing that leadership. Managers must plan, organize, direct, and control the business operations with the ongoing challenge of earning a profit in a highly competitive global marketplace. Strong communication, problem solving, and team building skills are critical traits of successful managers.
Program Information: Business management degrees continue to lead the nation as the number one choice of study in higher education. Students in the Associate of Applied Science Business Management Program receive hands-on, skill-based business training.
Special Program Requirements:
In addition to the program requirements listed above, students must meet the following conditions in order to graduate:
- College Cumulative GPA Requirement: The cumulative grade point average (GPA) of credits attempted and completed at CLC must be at least 2.0
- Residency Requirement: students must complete one-fourth (15) of their credits at Central Lakes College.
Career Opportunities: Business management graduates have found employment opportunities in financial institutions, retail and commercial trade, marketing, professional sales, restaurants, hotels/resorts, insurance, healthcare, and manufacturing. In addition, graduates have started their own businesses or managed family businesses.
Graduates will be able to:
- Recognize ethical, legal, and socially responsible business practices;
- Perform financial management tasks;
- Demonstrate effective written and oral business communications;
- Utilize software for business applications;
- Develop interpersonal leadership skills; and
- Access, analyze, and interpret relevant information specific to business strategies.
Tom Reese has over 37 years of combined industry and education experience, including self-employment. He has completed education degrees from North Hennepin Community College and the University of St. Thomas. Reese’s special business interests include entrepreneurship, stock market investing and financial portfolio management.
Outside of the classroom, he enjoys family activities outdoors and is an enthusiastic sports fan and golfer. Email Tom for more information
Debra McCarthy received her Associate of Arts Degree from Northland Community College. She received her Bachelor of Science Degree in Vocational Education from Bemidji State University and her Master of Arts in Business Management from The College of St. Scholastica. McCarthy has more than 30 years combined industry and education experience. Email Debra for more information