We are accepting submissions NOW through February 7 from CLC students, staff, and faculty! See guidelines and the online submission form below.
What is the Bent Pine?
The Bent Pine is a full color, hardcopy journal that seeks to illuminate the creative talents of students, staff, and faculty across Central Lakes College (Staples, Brainerd, and Online). We are an outlet for any shy artist, developing writer, or proud poet. We want to emphasize and publish your creative work, which deserves a professional and public outlet like The Bent Pine. It will be published every spring.
Who is the Bent Pine?
There is a Bent Pine Journal club devoted to putting out this journal yearly, including students across a wide range of disciplines. These students do all the work, with some help from faculty and staff. This includes getting submissions, selecting submissions (blind), promoting the club/journal, planning and hosting the spring event, and fundraising to sustain and budget for the project from year to year.
How will works be selected?
We will publish a select number of pieces of writing and art for the spring 2020 annual issue through a blind selection process. We will contact everyone who submits before the release party in April.
When will the Bent Pine be published?
The Bent Pine will be published in April, and there will be an event to showcase student work at that time—including a reading and exhibit (April 1 is the tentative date for the 2020 release party).
What do I get if my work is accepted?
- Your writing and/or art featured in a full color literary and arts publication, the Bent Pine.
- An invitation to the release party reading/exhibit in April.
- Your writing and/or art featured (possibly) at the release party reading/exhibit in April.
- Official publishing experience that you can now include in your resume or portfolio
- $100 awards will be given to 3 writing pieces and 3 art pieces.
What kind of writing can I submit and how?
- 1) poetry, 2) short fiction/drama/screenplays, and 3) nonfiction essays or essayettes
- Students/staff/faculty may submit in one or more of these three categories
- Students/staff/faculty may submit up to 10 pages in each of these three categories
- Names must be removed from all pieces
- Documents should be submitted as .doc, .docx, .txt, or .rtf. (no PDFs)
- Documents should be proofread/edited prior to submission
- Each separate writing piece should be submitted separately below (see form)
What kind of art can I submit and how?
- Photography, painting, drawing, printmaking, illustration, ceramics, sculpture, etc.
- Students/staff/faculty may submit in more than one category
- Students/staff/faculty may submit 5 art pieces total
- If possible, names should be removed from pieces, or blurred
- Please take a high quality photo of each piece and submit each separately below
- Ideally, photos should be submitted in .jpg, .jpeg, .gif or .png,
- Ideally, photos should be submitted with minimum resolution of 300 dpi/ppi
- If you are submitting a 3D artwork, you may submit more than one photo, capturing multiple angles.
- Each separate art piece should be submitted separately below (see form)
How do I submit my writing and/or art?
If you are submitting pieces in more than one category, please fill out the form again for each category (for example, if you are submitting a poem and a short story, please complete the form twice, uploading the appropriate document(s) each time).