View Job Listings
Office Support Specialist
To perform moderately difficult office support assignments requiring knowledge of agency programs, procedures and practices, and to serve as liaison between the general public and agency staff.
Must be eligible for appointment by the MN Merit System.
Administrative Support Diploma or college coursework in administrative support applications, business English, business communications, typing, Microsoft Office software, or closely related field, plus one or more years of general clerical experience.
Valid Minnesota driver’s license or access to reliable transportation for infrequent travel that may be required for off-site training or other job-related activities. Employment reference checks and a criminal background check will be performed as part of the pre-employment process.
Must have the ability to focus and work productively despite frequent interruptions.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other essential and nonessential functions as assigned or apparent to meet the ongoing needs of the department and organization. Regular attendance and punctuality are essential requirements of this position.
1. Provides courteous, high quality service to the public by asking questions to determine client
needs and then directing clients to the appropriate staff member, department or meeting or by
diffusing and redirecting belligerent clients before hostility escalates.
2. Greets and assists clients in proper completion of forms and applications based on knowledge of
agency programs, policies and procedures, and gathers personal medical identification numbers and electronic benefit transfer cards after identity verification.
3. Communicates information to the public or interdepartmental representatives in situations where
good judgment and correct interpretation of departmental policies and regulations are required.
4. Photocopies reports, forms, correspondence, and other agency documents.
5. Operates multi line telephones, directing calls, taking accurate messages, and providing agency program information and community resource information to callers.
6. Sorts, screens, prioritizes and distributes incoming mail, interagency correspondence and court documents and collects, prepares and delivers outgoing mail in a timely manner.
7. Composes, types, and edits correspondence, memos, forms, reports, and other documents from rough drafts or dictation, proofing for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with applicable regulations using knowledge of procedures to determine the correct format.
8. Creates and maintains filing system, performs data entry, and maintains computer database files.
9. Sorts, files, purges and scans agency records and case files in accordance with state and federal mandates and agency procedures. Pulls files for other staff upon request.
10. Operates all office equipment: computers, typewriters, dictation system, scanning system, calculators, photocopiers, fax machines, postage machines, laminators, and multi-phone lines.
11. Troubleshoots staff problems and issues with computer programs, equipment, and agency policy/ procedures.
12. Takes meeting minutes and prepares and enters statistical data such as charts, tables, and graphs from written, typed or verbal instructions.
13. Creates newsletters, brochures, and other printed materials using desktop publishing software.
14. Assembles informational packets, ordering and updating forms and brochures for all divisions, maintaining adequate inventory.
15. Attends training and meetings as needed.
16. Performs other related duties as assigned or apparent.
Central Lakes College reserves the right to edit and/or refuse employment listings for posting on this Website.
It is the policy of Central Lakes College to comply with federal and state law prohibiting discrimination in student admissions or treatment of students or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual preference, handicap, disability, status with regard to public assistance, or other protected groups. Upon request, this information will be made available in an alternative form.