View Job Listings
Mechanic: Heavy and Light Equipment/Trucking
To provide skilled mechanical services in the repair and maintenance of all City owned, heavy equipment, light equipment, emergency equipment, and perform other duties as assigned in the Fleet Maintenance Division. This job will require being able to work weekends and some evenings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provide skilled mechanical major overhauls, repair and maintain all heavy and light equipment.
2. Diagnose mechanical problems and recommend repair or replacement of parts and/or entire equipment units as justified.
3. Perform preventive maintenance and mechanical repair to fire trucks, ambulances, and other emergency equipment.
4. May perform minor body and fender work, welding and/or prefabricating as required.
5. Prepare in a complete and accurate manner an appropriate electronic repair order form from the maintenance software, for each job assigned.
6. Maintain good housekeeping practices in work area assigned.
7. This job may be assigned to assist with parking lot and street snow removal.
8. Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as apparent or assigned.
• Knowledge of automotive/truck operation and major servicing and repair of vehicles and light and heavy equipment.
• Knowledge of laws, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to vehicle travel and operation.
• Skill in the operation of all light and heavy equipment used by the City.
• Ability to follow established safety practices so that personal time loss/or property loss accidents are avoided.
• Ability to use tools and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
• Ability to obtain any training, licenses, or certifications as required, to perform work assignments.
• Ability to respond to flexible working hours to facilitate meeting equipment repairs necessary to meet desired conditions of the Fleet Maintenance customers.
• Keep updated on improved repair and maintenance techniques.
• Ability to respond willingly to varied work assignments.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with co-workers, customers, and the public.
• Ability to function as a skilled mechanic in the diagnosis, repair/overhaul and maintenance of all automotive, trucks and other equipment referred to Fleet Maintenance.
• Ability to perform strenuous duties as required.
• Ability to work with a respirator (half mask) for various lengths of time.
• On a continuous basis must be able to be on your feet and walk long distances and climb stairs (2 levels - no elevator available)
• On a continuous basis must be able to bend, stoop and twist to perform duties as a mechanic.
• On a frequent basis must be able to reach above, at and below shoulder height.
• On a frequent basis must be able to grasp tools and parts.
• On a frequent basis must be able to perform repetitive type work (i.e., hand tools).
• On a frequent basis must be able to lift up to 100 pounds from floor to knuckle and floor to waist.
• On a frequent basis must be able to lift up to 50 pounds from waist to shoulder and shoulder to overhead.
• On a frequent basis must be able to push or pull over 100 pounds (dolly and carts are available).
• On a continuous basis must be able to work in above 90 degree temperature.
• Environmental conditions to include repairing or operating equipment under adverse weather conditions; extremes of noise, vibrations. Fumes and dust may be present while performing job responsibilities.
• Hazardous conditions to include moving parts on equipment and machines.
• Hazardous materials to include skin irritants, lung irritants, odors/toxic fumes, chemicals, and hazardous materials.
• Certification as a Heavy Equipment and/or Heavy Truck mechanic through vocational school or equivalent training.
• Two years’ experience working as a Heavy Equipment and/or Heavy Truck Mechanic.
• Ability to work with a computerized vehicle maintenance program.
• The ability to prepare in a complete and accurate manner an appropriate repair order form for each job assigned.
• Possession of a valid Minnesota Class D Driver’s License and the ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
• Two years’ experience working with Fire apparatus repair
• ASE Certifications for: Heavy/Truck and/or Automotive vehicles
• EVT Certifications for: Fire Truck / Ambulance / Police Squad
• Specialized training in welding, hydraulic systems, and heavy equipment electrical repair, or equivalent experience.
• MN State Patrol Commercial Vehicle Inspector Certificate
• Experience working with a computerized parts room that supports vehicle and equipment repair.
• Training and Experience Rating
• Oral Interview
• Must pass a background check, drug test, and D.O.T. Pre-Placement Exam
• Other testing as appropriate
Central Lakes College reserves the right to edit and/or refuse employment listings for posting on this Website.
It is the policy of Central Lakes College to comply with federal and state law prohibiting discrimination in student admissions or treatment of students or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual preference, handicap, disability, status with regard to public assistance, or other protected groups. Upon request, this information will be made available in an alternative form.