Traditional Nursing Associate of Science
Admission and Progression Requirements 2020-2021
The Traditional Nursing Associate of Science (AS) program is a 64 credit, two-year program held on the Brainerd Campus of Central Lakes College. This program prepares students to take the NCLEX-RN Board exam and become Registered Nurses (RNs). This program begins twice per year, each Fall and Spring semester.
Program Admittance Requirements.
To be admitted into the program, CLC requires:
Note: Applicants must be 18 years of age prior to beginning their clinical placement.
- Central Lakes College application. Please apply prior to submitting a Nursing program application.
- CLC Traditional Nursing AS Program application. Available online at http://www.clcmn.edu/admissions/admissions-information-for-clc-nursing-programs/
- TEAS Exam Results. An Adjusted Individual Total Score of 70% or better – please note we may lower our TEAS exam requirement to fill remaining spots in the program however, this is not guaranteed.
Additional Program Requirements.
Prior to starting the program, CLC requires:
- Nursing Assistant. A Minnesota Department of Health approved nursing assistant course taken within the last five years or current status on the State of Minnesota Nursing Assistant Registry.
- Placement into ENGL 1410 Composition I. You need to have successfully completed or be ready to take this course. Find more Course Placement information here: clcmn.edu/course-placement-testing/.
- Placement into CHEM 1407 Life Science Chemistry. You need to have successfully completed or be ready to take this course. Find more Course Placement information here: clcmn.edu/course-placement-testing/.
Recommended Pre-Program Coursework.
The following General Education courses may be completed during the Traditional Nursing program, however earlier completion is strongly encouraged.
Academic Success. General education courses must be completed with a “C” or better AND with an overall cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better.
PHIL 2422 Medical Ethics, or transfer equivalent
BIOL 2468 Human Anatomy & Physiology II, or transfer equivalent
BIOL 2457 Microbiology, or transfer equivalent
ENGL 1410 Composition I, or transfer equivalent
CHEM 1407 Life Science Chemistry, or transfer equivalent
PSYC 2421 General Psychology, or transfer equivalent
BIOL 2467 Anatomy & Physiology I, or transfer equivalent
ENGL 1411 Composition II, or transfer equivalent
Core Nursing Coursework.
Taken after admission to the program. Must be completed with a “B-“ or better.
NURS 1540 Professional Nursing Fundamentals
NURS 1541 Professional Nursing Fundamentals Lab
NURS 1542 Medication Administration Concepts
NURS 1544 Professional Nursing Concepts I
NURS 1545 Professional Nursing Practicum I
NURS 2540 Professional Nursing Concepts II
NURS 2541 Professional Nursing Practicum II
NURS 2542 Advanced Skills for the Professional Nurse
NURS 2545 Professional Nursing Concepts III
NURS 2546 Professional Nursing Practicum III
NURS 2547 Professional Nursing Leadership