Why Choose Medical Assistant A.A.S. Degree at CLC?
• Strong internship placement opportunities with area health care facilities that open doors to a new career.
• Team oriented classroom instruction to prepare students for teamwork in the healthcare field.
• Impressive variety of equipment and resources to allow for realistic hands-on experience while learning.
• Professional yet comfortable classroom learning environment.
• Classroom time is conducive to non-traditional student schedules.
• Opportunities for students to work in a variety of areas, i.e. Administrative, Clinical and Laboratory in the healthcare setting.
• Successful completion of the national certification exam, CMA (AAMA), allows for employment across the United States.
Dawn L. Verdon
Dawn L. Verdon, worked as a Certified Medical Assistant for 29 years before returning to college to earn her AA degree from Central Lakes College in 2002, graduating Summa Cum Laude with a K-8 elementary education degree from Bemidji State University in 2005, and most recently a Master’s degree in Education and Leadership from Southwest Minnesota State University in 2013. She holds certification as a Certified Medical Assistant from the American Association of Medical Assistants (CMA), and as an Allied Health Instructor (AHI) from the American Medical Technologists. Dawn’s continued interest in the medical field led her to apply for the position at Central Lakes College when it was announced that they were adding the program offering in 2008. In her spare time, she enjoys walking, biking, reading, music, theater, and spending time with family and friends.
Southwest Minnesota State University Marshall, MN
Masters of Science in Education July 2013
Specialty: Teaching, Learning and Leadership
Career Courses for Adult Learning, Theory, Designing Instruction and Assessment May 2011
Bemidji State University Bemidji, MN Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education May 2005
Specialty: Communication Arts and Literature
Willmar Area Vocational-Technical Institute (Ridgewater College) Willmar, MN Medical Office Assistant May 1976
Email Dawn for more information
I enrolled in the Medical Assistant Program at Central Lakes College because it was a one year program and most other ones are two years. I thought it would allow me to enter the work field sooner so I could provide for my family.
I have worked as a nursing assistant for thirteen years and absolutely love working in the medical field. My body has had enough and I needed to figure out something different to do with my life. A friend of mine told me about the Medical Assistant Program offered at Central Lakes College and I decided this is what I would enjoy doing and still work in the medical field. I am really enjoying all of my classes and find them very interesting. We were able to do a “shadow day” during fall and spring semester and I thoroughly enjoyed what I observed. I am looking forward to my internship during the summer.