Why Choose Computer Support Specialist Diploma at CLC?
• Certified Instructors
• Cutting Edge Technology and Emerging/High Demand Skill Sets
• Convenient Scheduling: Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as many online offerings.
• Microsoft IT Academy, Cisco Networking Academy, CompTIA Authorized Academy
• VUE, Prometric and Certiport Test Center Onsite
• Education and Career Advisors
• Outstanding Career Placement
• Extensive, hands-on training, working with industry hardware and software
• State-of-the-art Labs– over $500,000 invested in labs
• Internships are available in each program
COMPUTER SUPPORT SPECIALIST DIPLOMA
Program Course Requirements
Fall Semester – 1st Year
COMP 1109 Introduction to Operating Systems (3 cr)
COMP 1131 Microsoft Word Comprehensive (4 cr)
COMP 1204 Computer Repair I – A+ Hardware (4 cr)
Total – 11 credits
Spring Semester – 1st Year
COMP 1132 Microsoft Access Comprehensive (4 cr)
COMP 1135 Microsoft Excel Comprehensive (4 cr)
COMP 1206* Computer Repair II – A+ Operating Systems (3 cr)
Total – 11 credits
Fall Semester – 2nd Year
COMP 1133 Microsoft PowerPoint Comprehensive (3 cr)
COMP 1134 Microsoft Outlook Comprehensive (1 cr)
Total – 4 credits
Spring Semester – 2nd Year
COMP 1253* Client Operation Systems Administration (4 cr)
COMP 1230* Network Essentials (4 cr)
COMP 2202* Computer User Support (3 cr)
Total – 11 credits
GRADUATION REQUIREMENT – 37 CREDITS
*Denotes Prerequisite or Co-requisite
NOTE: Central Lakes College is a Prometric, VUE, and Certiport Authorized Test Center. All certification exams can be delivered on site.
Career Description: Computer support specialists are in high demand. They help people solve problems with their computer hardware and software. They help coworkers or people who bought their company’s products troubleshoot the problem to determine whether to make repairs or make changes to the computer setup. Computer support specialists may read technical manuals to help determine the problem, test computers to make sure they work, and help determine a company’s computer needs. At larger companies, specialists may teach staff how to use new software. A computer support specialist who works with customers may teach customers how to install software or hardware or how to use the software purchased.
Program Information: The Computer Support Specialist Program will help prepare graduates by introducing them to a wide variety of subjects in information and emerging technologies that they will encounter in the field. Subjects covered include computer troubleshooting and repair, basic networking, operating systems, supporting common end-user applications, as well as soft skills like oral and written communication and customer service. This program teaches skills needed to work for companies with small to mid-size help desks or large corporate user support centers. Our program delivers curriculum using currently released industry software, including Operating System (OS) and Network Operating System (NOS), and the instructors are industry certified professionals with years of experience in the classroom and industry. There is 100% placement of our graduates within the information technology (IT) field.
Graduates will be able to:
- Perform computer information technology practices and procedures required for entry to mid-level employment;
- Perform computer information technology entry to mid-level skill sets and apply theoretical principles;
- Install, manage, configure and use functions and features of current releases of operating systems, network operating systems and applications;
- Install , troubleshoot and repair computer equipment and peripherals;
- Evaluate, identify and apply appropriate security standards; and
- Communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences.
Certification: This program will help students prepare for the following certifications: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) and Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA), Comp TIA A+, and others. Central Lakes College is a Prometric, VUE and Certiport Authorized Test Center. All certifications exams can be delivered on-site.
Career Opportunities: The need for qualified IT professionals continues to grow. Computer support specialist careers are the fastest growing occupations in Minnesota and across the country.
Career Titles: The studies in this program will help students prepare for careers in computer support, including computer support specialist, computer repair technician, computer operator, and help desk worker.
For more information regarding employment statistics, career salary information and estimated job growth, follow the resource links below: