3.21.1 Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer Procedure

3.21.1 Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer Procedure  


Students seeking a degree, diploma or certificate who have attended a previous college must have all official transcripts sent to Central Lakes College Records and Registration. If students previously attended a college within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MinnState) system, Central Lakes College can retrieve the e-transcript. If students attended a non-MinnState college, an official transcript is required. If the transcript is hand-delivered by the student, it must be delivered in an unopened college envelope. Student copies and faxed transcripts are not considered official.  


Once a course has met the criteria necessary for inclusion in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) in an emphasis/goal area, the course must be accepted for full credit in that emphasis/goal area at all MinnState colleges and universitiesRegional accreditation from the institution/college has to be in effect at the time the student took the course(s). Courses completed from colleges or universities which do not possess regional accreditation will be considered on an individual basis for evaluation but do require syllabi or course outlines and faculty credentials for each course. Other documentation may be required.  Lower division courses (100, 200, or 1000, 2000 numbered) completed will be accepted in transfer. Not more than six upper-division (300, 400 or 3000, 4000 numbered) semester credits may be used in transfer.  


Once an official transcript arrivesthe transfer evaluation is completed by Records and RegistrationA course syllabuscourse outline or other documentation may be requested to determine course transferability. Transfer of credits shall be accomplished in accordance with Minnesota State Colleges and Universities policy and the policy of Central Lakes College. 


Transfer decisions may be appealed. To appeal a transfer decision students may appeal to the Registrar by completing a Transfer Appeal form.  If the student is not satisfied with the collegetransfer appeal decision, the student may submit a request to the Senior Vice Chancellor of Academic and Student Affairs at the MinnState System Office.  The MinnState System Office appeal link is located at the bottom ofhttp://www.mntransfer.org/students/plan/s_tap.phpSystem level appeal athttp://www.mntransfer.org/pdfs/students/PDFs/System-Level-Appeal-Form.pdf 


General Information  

The following information applies to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MinnState) 


  1. Once a course has met the criteria necessary for inclusion in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum(MnTC)in an emphasis/goal area, the course must be accepted for full credit in that emphasis/goal area at all MinnState colleges and universities. 
  2. Students are encouraged to ask for help from theAdvisorsor Transfer Specialist located at each college. Students are encouraged to ask the Advisors for information about transfer agreements between colleges.  
  3. 3. Students need to understand the criteria for admission to the institutionor selected major fieldof study.  
  4. 4. Students need to understand what kinds of courses an institution will accept in transfer. 
  5. 5. Students need to understand thetransferappeals process at the institution.  
  6. 6. The receiving college or university determines whichcredits transfer and whether those credits meet its degree requirements. The accreditation of both the sending and the receiving institution can affect the transfer of the credits. 
  7. 7. Institutions accept credits from courses and programs like those they offer. They look for similarity in course goals, content, and level of difficulty. 
  8. 8. Baccalaureate degree programs usually count credits in four categories: education, major/minor courses, prerequisites, and electives. The key question is, “Will your credits fulfill requirementsofthe degree or program you choose?”  
  9. 9. If a student changes career goals or majors, he/ she might not be able to complete all degree requirements within the usual number of graduation credits. 


Your Rights as a Transfer Student:  


  1. To receive a clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policy. 
  2. To receive a fair credit review and an explanation of why credits were or were not accepted. 
  3. To appeal a transfer decision at the college level, available from the Registrar and then at theMinnState level, available at http://www.mntransfer.org/students/plan/s_tap.php 
  4. To receive a reviewof financial aid or scholarshipeligibility and transfer of present financial aid records.  


Links to Course Equivalencies and MinnState policy sites: 





Date of policy creation:  03-11-09 

Author:  Jeff Wig, Dean of Enrollment Management 

Date of Implementation:  04-10-09 

Revisions:  Michelle Kangas, Registrar, 07/01/2016 




Call Now