The Check & Connect (C&C) Program at Central Lakes College is an inclusive and comprehensive model for engaging and retaining students with intellectual disabilities in our higher education programs.
The C&C Coach promotes positive outcomes by routinely meeting with the students and offering support in a number of ways:
- Check-in regularly with students to discuss how school, work, social, and home lives are going
- Monitor student’s attendance, grades, and progress in school
- Timely interventions to ensure student achievement through graduation Work with Faculty, Disability Services, CLC administrators and other support staff to help students with ID to be successful
- Problem solve with students when having difficulties with home, social, academic, or vocational lives
- Assist students in finding outreach services or supports, as needed
- Provide follow-up and support in the summer months and after graduation
- Sponsor social events to help students socialize and become integrated in school and community life
Check & Connect uses the principles of universal design for learning, person centered planning, self-determination, and academic and social integration.
For more information about Central Lake College’s C&C Program, contact
Mary Sam: Project Director at 218-855-8159 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information and the history behind Check & Connect Go to http://www.checkandconnect.org
Check & Connect is a student engagement intervention model to promote students’ engagement with school, reduce dropout, and increase school completion.
The Check & Connect model originated from a partnership of researchers, practitioners, parents, and students led by the Institute on Community Integration, University of Minnesota